Porte has been serious about real estate since 1968 and in those 55+ years we’ve realized we aren’t just developing or managing properties, we’re helping build communities and enriching lives. You’ll find that spirit in our award-winning developments, extraordinary charitable work and in every employee who proudly calls Porte their place of work. When people feel this good about doing their job, amazing things happen.
There are countless reasons to consider a career with Porte. For starters, you’ll be part of an encouraging, supportive team with plenty of room for growth. Plus, you’ll enjoy many Porte Perks, these are just a few:
- Kickstart Mondays with coffee and weekend banter
- Weekly fitness training sessions
- Friday happy hour (on the rooftop when weather permits!)
- Training and educational events throughout the year
- A social committee that plans creative gatherings to make sure we are having fun
Our focus on building communities is carried out in many ways and everyone at Porte is encouraged to get involved. We fundraise each holiday season for the Food Bank, we set aside a budget to match employee charitable donations, and we run a charity from our office called Cassie + Friends that is dedicated to changing the lives of children who are living with Juvenile Arthritis. Plus, we give back to the community through each of our new developments by donating $100 per home that is built to the Breakfast Club of Canada to help ensure kids don’t go to school hungry.
And, of course, you’ll be an integral part of a family company building on over 54 years of success, and progressive leadership in the real estate industry. We have big plans to continue to grow, which include increasing our residential rental and commercial portfolios, expanding into new markets across BC and Calgary and happily housing hundreds of homeowners each year. Learn more about Porte at porte.ca.
Reporting to the IPP Accounting Manager, the Property Accountant performs duties for the Porte group of companies, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, data entry, collections, rent processing, bank deposits and month-end reporting duties.
- Handle full-cycle accounting for a portfolio of properties in an efficient and accurate manner within the assigned deadlines.
- Responsible for the portfolio’s monthly and annual reporting cycle, including expense and revenue accruals, capital amortization, monthly deadlines, year end and budget processes, GST reconciliation, banking, cash flow, and cash disbursements.
- Process leases including lease review, interpretation and application of relevant clauses, straight line rent, and operating cost recoveries.
- Financial Statements: bank reconciliations duties/ journal entries/government subsidy reconciliation/prepare monthly financial statement and supplementary reports/handle payroll and CRA remittance for clients/researching and answering property manager’s and other external parties’ financial questions.
- Work in close partnership with property management and leasing staff to produce and maintain yearly property budgets.
- Maintains accounting policies, procedures, and systems to ensure company financial information is fairly stated.
- Reviews and prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
- Reviews summary of Accounts Receivable amounts monthly and ensures that reports reconcile to the general ledger.
- Prepares information at property and/or divisional level for management to make informed decisions.
- Prepares yearly CAM (Common Area Maintenance) reconciliations for commercial properties.
- Represents the company appropriately in communications with suppliers, tenants, bankers, project advisors, and professional service advisors.
- Prepare recurring and non-recurring journal entries (adjusting journal entries and journal entries for significant transactions).
- Review account reconciliations for all entities within the Porte Companies and working papers related period-end reporting requirements.
- Review intercompany schedules (intercompany loan, intercompany reconciliations, settlement of intercompany loans/advances).
- Review chargeback from entities within the group to ensure expenses are properly reflected in each legal entity for accounting and tax purposes.
- Manage appropriate accounting procedures and processes, including developing a documented system of such policies and procedures.
- Maintain the G/L and working paper files for all entities by posting journal entries, doing GST returns, preparing financial statements for audit and reviews to ensure that financial reports and statements reflect accurate numbers.
- Reconciling expenses, preparing statements for audit, variance analysis, shortfall analysis and interim billings.
- Build long-term relationships with team heads by focusing on longer term information management solutions.
- Interpret business numbers to put them into the appropriate context for others to act upon.
- Run payroll for certain divisions.
- Performs various duties as required.
TEAMWORK AND SUPERVISION:
Participates as a member of the Accounting team, works directly with the Accounting team and collegially with the Property Management, Development, Sales & Marketing, Realty and Customer Experience teams.
Required training, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience in both commercial and residential is preferred.
- Strong technical and administrative skills.
- Strong knowledge of Yardi Job Cost.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of organization and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well individually and in teams.
- Experienced with MS Office programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Salary Range: $70,000-80,000
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
If you feel you would be a good fit with the Porte Team please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Property Accountant’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.