Development Manager Opportunity
Job Title: Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Development
There are countless reasons to consider a career with Porte. For starters, you’ll be part of an encouraging, supportive team with plenty of room for growth. Plus, you’ll enjoy perks like weekly ﬁtness training sessions and team building events throughout the year.
And, of course, you’ll be an integral part of a family company building on over 50 years of success, amazingly generous charitable work and progressive leadership in the real estate industry. To learn more about us, visit porte.ca.
The Development Manager is a senior position and manages the full cycle of development of residential, mixed use, and commercial projects, from seeking project opportunities through to completed development of projects. Project sizes vary from 50 – 300 homes and will include some commercial development. All projects are in Metro Vancouver, Residential projects are wood frame townhouse and low rise, up to 6 storey.
At all times being guided by the Porte Promises, the Development Manager must be able to work independently and as a part of the development team.
- As a member of the development team, participates in developing the strategic direction of Porte Development.
- Find development opportunities using existing broker and landowner contacts and using Porte’s broker contacts.
- Prepare preliminary pro forma evaluations to determine the feasibility and potential proﬁtability of projects, with input from Finance, Construction and Marketing & Sales.
- Conducts due diligence, which may include preliminary concept design, preliminary engineering work, ini5al meetings with city oﬃcials, obtaining input from other consultants, preliminary construction budgeting and compiling initial market information.
- Use exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to foster excellent relationships with consultants, municipal staﬀ, the public and other interest groups.
- Leads design team, consisting of external consultants, through the design of the project.
- Engages architect and the supporting consultants.
- Works with the Director of Construction to ensure the project’s affordability and constructability. Reviews the construction pricing obtained throughout the design process and iteratively update the proforma as new information becomes available.
- Works with Marketing & Sales to coordinate the suite mix, interior design, suite layout and amenities of the project.
- Engages and consults the necessary city oﬃcials – planning, engineering, and political when necessary.
- Leads the approval process with the city’s planning department and ensure the city’s requirements are met, including participating In or leading meetings and public consultations as required.
- Ensures all critical milestones and requirements are understood and are clearly communicated to the design team.
- Creates and responsible for the overall project and approval schedule and clearly communicates it to the development team.
- Participates in the political approval process.
- Obtains all necessary approvals – rezoning, development permits and engineering approvals.
- Provides Construction with the support necessary to obtain the building permit.
- Develops positive and productive relationships with engineering services, architects and other professionals involved in the industry. Forges strategic alliances where appropriate to support business opportunities.
- Represents the company appropriately in relationships with owners, project advisors, suppliers, local governments, and professional associations.
- Actively communicates information concerning the company’s strategies, objectives and performance externally to create a positive proﬁle for the company in the community.
- Keeps up to date with industry developments, construction and code changes, and new products available in the market.
- Attends internal management and all-staﬀ meetings.
- Performs other du5es, as required.
TEAMWORK AND SUPERVISION:
- Participates as a member of the development team & works directly with the Director of Development and with the Construction, Marketing and Sales, Finance and Customer Experience teams, as well as with external consultants a[ached to these teams.
- Hires and oversees the input of consultants engaged to provide input into the development phase of projects, and provides input to consultants engaged to provide input into the construction and sales/marketing phase of projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma, or equivalent experience, in construction management, property development, architecture, urban planning, business or related ﬁeld.
- At least 6 years’ experience in real estate development and construction, preferably in multi-family housing, including new construction and rehabilitation of existing multi-family buildings.
- Passionate about creating homes.
- Strong project management experience, including design and construction materials and methods.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well with government, private investors and lenders, community stakeholders, engineers and consultants.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experienced with MS Oﬃce programs including MS Project.
- Required to work from Porte’s head oﬃce Monday to Friday, typically 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Required to inspect construc5on projects outdoors in all weather condi5ons.
- Attend out of hours council and other meetings.
If this vacancy interests you, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.